In the heat of summer, or any time really, your dog can enjoy a nice cool frozen yogurt treat. The best part, it is super easy to make. Plus, you can make a batch and store them in the freezer for months.
My dog likes to go on long walks, but when it is hot, he gets really hot. The best way I have found to combat the heat, while still enjoying being active with my pup, is to make him a cold treat. Right after walks, he will come in ready for a cool down treat.
Since this scenario is common in my household, I feel that the treat needs to be packed with only healthy ingredients. This frozen yogurt is not only a pup favorite, but it is something you will feel good about feeding your dog.
Ingredients like unsweetened apple sauce, plain non-fat yogurt and raw honey are all the healthiest forms of that product, so your dog won’t get a treat that is packed with artificial sweeteners.
I also think it is very important to include ingredients that are packed with nutrition.
- Flaxseed is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that are great for your dog’s skin and coat.
- Cinnamon is very good for dogs with diabetes, as it helps regulate blood sugar; it is also an anti-inflammatory.
- Yogurt is high in both calcium and protein, plus the probiotics will help your dog’s digestive system.
- Honey is good for your dog’s digestive system, as well, but you don’t want to give your dog too much.
- Blueberries are a superfood for your dog, too! They are a good source of zinc, antioxidants, selenium and iron; blueberries also contain vitamins C, E, A and B.
In this recipe, I use sunflower seed butter, but you can use any nut butter you wish. Peanut butter doesn’t agree with my dog, and almond butter is super expensive, so I have found that sunflower seed butter is a great alternative.
To make healthy frozen yogurt for dogs, just combine yogurt, applesauce, a banana, the nut butter of your choice, honey, ground flaxseed, cinnamon and blueberries in a blender and blend until mostly smooth.
You can then pour it into small portions and freeze it. I use the 1/2 cup Ziplock containers. You will want to freeze it for at least four hours before serving it. It will stay good in the freezer for about three months.
- 32 oz plain non-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 frozen banana
- 2/3 cup nut butter of choice (sunflower seed butter used in photos)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Add all ingredients in a blender and blend until mostly smooth.Divide mixture into 1/2 cup portions (approximately 10) and freeze for at least 4 hours.